Recent reports have surfaced claiming the Lakers are in no rush to offer Anthony Davis a max contract extension.
This has sparked speculation over the team’s true feelings towards the supremely talented but often injured All-Star.
Nevertheless, according to ESPN’s Dave McMenamin, he anticipates that both parties will eventually reach an agreement before training camp begins.
Here’s what he had to say on a recent episode of The Lowe Post:
“Anthony Davis in Rob [Pelinka’s] estimation is someone that has represented the Lakers really well, citing how he played through his foot injury last year as a major reason why they won a championship in 2020 and he wants to continue to have Anthony Davis as a Laker. I am not too concerned about how this thing plays out, whether it’s the max amount of years or max amount of dollars are reached, that remains to be seen and that will be figured out between Rich Paul and Rob Pelinka and Jeanie Buss.
“But where things stand right now, I expect some sort of an agreement to be reached. A lot of it is one, recognizing that Anthony Davis as a trade chip, there’s no way to replicate the value of what he brings to the court combined with LeBron James when he’s healthy, you just won’t. It’s absolutely impossible.
“You also recognize that LeBron turning 39 years old and entering Year 21 has a limited window, so then to try to coalesce with a new group if you were to find this beautiful trade for Anthony Davis, that’s follied, you could be wasting what’s left of LeBron and then beyond that, listen, we know the business of this league. If there’s no extension offered, what do you do? You apply pressure the other way and say I want out. So I’m fairly confident that Anthony Davis will come into training camp with an extended deal.”
Anthony Davis signed a five-year, $190 million extension in December 2020.
While Davis is under contract for next season, his contract includes an early termination option for 2024-25.
Miles Bridges Speaks for First Time Since Returning to NBA
Miles Bridges has spoken publicly for the first time since signing a one-year, $7.9 million qualifying offer earlier this month to return to the Charlotte Hornets.
After missing all of last season due to a domestic violence incident, Bridges fronted the media on Tuesday.
“First of all, I want to apologize to everybody for the pain and embarrassment that I caused everyone, but especially my family,” he said.
“This year away, I’ve used it to prioritize going to therapy and become the best person I can be, someone that my family and everybody here can be proud of.”
Hornets general manager Mitch Kupchak said the decision to bring back Bridges required “a lot of time to sort through” and “a lot of measured thought.”
“Our relationship with Miles that goes back over five years, talking to Miles this past year, whether it was ownership, myself or our coach, knowing Miles as we know him, him showing remorse and accountability and indicating to us that this would never happen again, ” Kupchak said. “I believe Miles when he says that.”
In November, Bridges entered a plea of no contest to a domestic violence charge for assaulting the mother of his two children. The woman posted photos of her injuries, revealing bruises, cuts, and swelling on her face, arm, and leg. As a result, Bridges was sentenced to probation and mandated to complete 100 hours of community service.